thinking

thinking
still

Monday, May 17, 2010

I returned a movie to redbox at the Winndixiceshopping center here in Callahan, this morning.
It's raining and it's taking some of the bite off my dimentia.
I had to park in frontof the Dollar General and walk around to the machine...
After i'd returned my movie i walked back by the only laundromat (laundrette is so much more poetic and Anglo) we have in cally
It was a fab second or 2 of sensory stimulation, good stimulation.
The place smellled ofsoap powder and the white noise hum of the machines and the gentle tapping of the rain and a mild cigarette smell warmed me spiritually.
England came to mind, the soap smell and rain's mostly why.
And it made me wonder why ifeel such fondness andwarmth when i am reminded in an olfactory manner of England.
such fondness.
My grandmother was never overjoyed to be with us. She was suffering from depression and could be a bit crotchety....not lighthearted and running around, but not always awful.
I had lots of time there with my cousins and lots of time to be on my own, in the English sun.
And it was always cool and smelled sweetly of flowers,lavender and sage, roses
and green
Grass that leaves smudges on white summer pants.
And the character of the old buildings, stone and old door frames
And the windows of small residences along the townstreets
windows with little figurines, gray glossy porcelain horses, or oriental men.
And the rosey faces, so many rosey faces...apple cheeked youth.
spikey haired
school uniforms with loosened ties.
I embarrassed my cousin Charlotte once.
We went when i was 18 or 19 one summer.
I'd promised some friends i'd get a few things for them.
For lee i found a beautiful itchy wool tie and a card with a woman dressed in bondage straps, wrapped around her enormous breasts, it was sooooo hot, and Charlotte was seriously blushing when she walked with me to the register, and i had not received a bag for the card in the shop where i'd purchased it, so i asked for a small bag in another place and she told me that they do not do that there....i was like, "do what?"
"ask for a bag for something purchased in another store"
hmph......that's silly.
I wonder if there are still those stiff upper lip queer little social etiquette whatever foible kinda things engrained in my people i do so adore............................

2 comments:

  1. It is too hot to even read this. It is so hot and sticky out. I have jsut spent almost a month indoors, drugged, in an area so much less humid. I am stifled, bound to wear long sleeved and long legged garments, delerious because it is so hot. The surfaces of my skin in flux, hard for my body to regulate the temp. All the while, my mind just a bit a kilter. I wish I was barefoot in a gareden. This past winter I had started a little garden out back, even though I live in an apartment I found a little area, having planted some beets and carrots. but when I returned to the untended area, it had been dug up, most likely by small amimals, maybe even pets off the leash. Plus it was overgrown. Oh, well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here you are.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhK3Tufb4tE

    ReplyDelete